I am doing the happy dance! We finally have drapes in our daughter’s room. We have wanted to do them forever but you know how it goes. I finally decided I just needed to get my rear in gear. I could not be happier with how they turned out. They are much prettier in person. This room may be the most difficult to photograph in our home. These window treatments definitely have a back story. Let’s just say the original concept was completely different. #blondemoment But, in the end, we powered through and came up with something we love even more. Full story below!
So I knew I wanted to create panels that resembled the beautiful ones found at Serena and Lily. In an effort to spend less, I purchased white drapes from Ikea and cute pom-pom trim from JoAnn Fabric. This should have been a slam dunk. Like, no big deal, sew on some trim and stick them on a rod! So sew I did. And they came out great! But . . .
…. I washed and dried the panels before adding the trim. When I went to hold them up two inches from the ceiling they were like 12” inches too short! “HONEY I SHRUNK THE DRAPES!” Horrible. Here is the deal, not only did they shrink, but I never even saw that they were only 98” to begin with. In the past, I had only purchased the white drapes from Ikea that are crazy long and come unhemmed. I went all fancy and bought the Lenda drapes that are hemmed and 98”. They do come in a length of 118” but I bought the wrong ones. Duh. So that mixed with some extra hot drying magic, my drapes fell way short. By the way, the Lenda drapes are awesome. A light weight drape that has some body to them. I seriously love them.
Pelmets to the rescue! I immediately ran to Home Depot to grab supplies. It was crazy easy to do and completely solved the problem. I will do a DIY post soon on how it all went down. Much easier than I thought. The hubby busted out some pretty amazing pelmets in no time. I covered them with the white drapes that used to be in our master bedroom. The pink trim is groisgrain ribbon. So simple. I wanted to keep them fresh and clean. Nothing fussy. There are actually two windows in her room so I will show you the entire space once the pillows and headboard are complete. Still inching towards the finish line.
So all in all, I am so thrilled that I pulled a total blonde moment and screwed up the drapes. I think the pelmet makes the space. I love peering down the long hallway and seeing these in her room. A great lesson on turning lemons into lemonade. The best part is seeing my daughter reading on her bed . . . she just loves the transformation. So do I! DIY post to come. To get caught up on this space you can click below. Drapery costs: 4 Lenda window panels $40 | pom-pom trim $15 Pelmet cost: wood $18 | batting and ribbon $10 | hardware & tension rods $30 Total: $113 for two windows