Good morning, my friends. First and foremost can I get an Amen for Friday. While this week flew, it wiped me out. I’ve been much better about working out this week but boy am I sore. How has your week been? I have had a few questions for you whirling around in my head so I thought I would round them up in one post. Feel free to answer all five or even just one in the comments below! I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Organization! Let’s talk about it. I’ve mentioned before that I am finally getting many spots around here organized. What do you want to see? What areas are hot spots in your homes? Is there a place that continually gets messy and filled with junk? Or are there other areas of your life where you feel disorganized? I would love to hear from you what is preventing you from living a more organized life. Let’s tackle it together.
When it comes to recipes and trying new things do you like seeing what I am making on IG stories? Do you want more recipes? I am assuming we are all busy and want quick and healthy but if not let me know your thoughts. Do you like having printable recipes like this one? (See more recipes here).
PS. . .I only keep my avocados in the fridge after they ripen. It slows down the process so I can enjoy them all week-long.
You may or may not know that I have been sharing more about my journey with Alzheimer’s over on Instagram. Walking this road with my mom has been extremely challenging but I want to share my experience in the hopes of not only helping others but bringing more awareness on the topic. I have been blown away with the response and the amount of personal messages I receive. Would any of you like to see more on the blog? I know it’s not the usual upbeat topics I cover but it is our reality and I feel strongly about trying to help others as they navigate this very difficult journey. Happy to hear your thoughts.
Just Four Things!!!! Those of you have been reading A Thoughtful Place for some time know that I ran a series where I selected a reader’s space and helped them design a refresh with just four things. We showed weekly progress and allowed readers to weigh in. I would LOVE to know if you would like me to bring this back. I may make a few changes but I love helping others give their space new life and am up for it if you are. So if you are interested in following along or submitting a space, let me know below.
Thank you for the input. I am excited to see what you have to say! And now I am off to spend the afternoon with my beautiful mama. Enjoy your Friday, ladies!!!
*If you missed my latest Q & A you can get caught up here.
1. Yes – I would love to see more organization posts. A couple areas that seem to be a hot mess around my house are the coming in from school/car/sports drop zone (so much stuff!) and a household charging station/inbox/mail. Also, how do you organize your mornings or afternoons (before and after school) to make the household run more smoothly?
2. I appreciate the recipe shares. I am always looking for new ideas for what can be delicious for the whole family. Keep them coming!
3. I am learning so much about what you share about your mom’s/family’s journey with a. It’s very personal, so please share what feels right to you.
4. Yes to the Just 4 things posts!
I look at your blog as a lifestyle blog, and to me, all the areas you list here are things that falls into that bucket. I read your blog because you seem authentic and genuine. Thank you putting you and your family out there!
I agree with what Nicole said. Only difference for me is that my clutter revolves around how to handle my own paper, receipts, magazines and mail that comes into my home. My kids are older teens so handling their paper is not a problem anymore- I can’t blame them as it’s all me. Love your blog.
Yes yes yes to Just 4 things. Such a cool idea.
I also would like to hear about Alzheimer’s as well.
I would love to hear about how you organize and stay on top of all the children’s paper. SOOOOOO much paper comes home from school — forms, reminders, flyers, etc., etc. and it’s overwhelming! I have an excellent paper system for our home generally (mail, bills, magazines, etc.) but can’t get it together with the kids’ paper.
I absolutely would love for you to share more about your mom. While Alzheimer’s has not affected my family (yet), helping our parents with challenges and realities of aging and the many sad and difficult things that comes with that is something that so many of us are dealing with or will be soon.
Love the Just Four Things idea!!
I so look forward to reading your blog every morning. With you sharing your experiences about your mom’s condition I know you are helping so many others experiencing the same thing. Thank you for your bravery and honesty. Also, I would love to see just four things !
Yes times four!
1) My hot spot organization need is the master closet, keeping it ordered mainly. And bathroom storage ideas.
2) Printable recipes are key for me. Healthy recipes.
3) Learning about your journey with your mom is helpful to many readers I would guess. I lost my mom in August, 94 years old, not Alzheimer’s but the journey of aging with your mom is a topic that relates to many of us. Living without my mom is even harder than that journey was.
4) Just 4 Things would be very helpful. I don’t see any other blogs that are doing that for readers and most of us want to improve our homes or we wouldn’t be reading decor blogs. Many home decor bloggers are adding lifestyle posts (fashion, traveling, etc) and that helps them bring in more income if they link to stores, etc. Staying fresh in the decor world takes imagination and that doesn’t necessarily mean spending oodles of cash. I would welcome a return of the Just 4 Things because it takes us back to the “home” and creating one.
Yes to the four things! But seriously I like all four topics you are interested in sharing! Have a great day with your beautiful mama!
1. Organization-Time and Routine are a struggle right now, empty nest and hubby now working from home 😉 Home Organization is a passion of mine, so I always love seeing organized spaces.
2. As you know, we have crazy dietary restrictions and are always looking for new recipes. Sometimes it only takes subbing one or two ingredients for us to be able to enjoy a dish.
3. Yes. As you know, my family too has had to walk this path. I think it is helpful to those going through it as well to share. And they may even become a support to you as well 😉
4. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Sometimes I think it just takes a fresh set of eyes to see a space in a new light, and I love that it’s just 4 things, not an entire room redo. It makes it affordable for all.
3. what feels right to you
Yes on all, especially your momma. I have always loved the just 4 post also
Please bring back the 4 things (and choose me????). Ha! Thanks for the great posts
Yes to all!
1) Papers and digital files and pics are my pain pointsz
2) love healthy and easy recipes! Yours are always ones that don’t require obscure ingredients and that kids enjoy and I love that.
3) Alzheimer’s runs in my husbands family so I find it helpful to hear about and see your journey to relate to what my husband has seen in his grandparents (who passed before we met).
4) The 4 things sounds amazing and I would submit a space!
Kathy Likens says
Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes to all four.
RM, Home Confetti says
YES to the “Just Four Things.” I’m a newer reader, but love the idea of such a post.
My organization problem is shoes! I always wonder where families store shoes–specifically the kids shoes and especially now that we’re in the middle of winter. I don’t like the kids bringing dirty shoes into their rooms so shoes always seem to pile up by the front door. (We don’t really have a front foyer or a place we could add bins in the entryway.) We used to keep shoes in the front closet but there are either too many or they never make it back in there. We have a couch near our entrance so right now I have a bin under the couch and am hiding them in there. I don’t know how this might fit in your organization posts–but thought I’d throw it out there!
How do you keep your island so clutter free??? That’s where everything seems to land in our household, such an eyesore!! I would love to hear more about your mom as well! Have a great weekend!
x S Design by Sydnee ????
Do you have a desk/drop zone in your kitchen? We have a little desk space with some small drawers on the side and two upper cabinets and I have NO clue how to best organize this space. It is a total drop zone and while I can clear it off it just still isn’t being utilized the best.
I’m a YES on all of these- they’re my favorite things you share. I don’t engage in instastories very often, but you always articulate challenging experiences so beautifully so I know I’d love hearing more about you and your mom. I really liked the four things series and will probably even submit my space if you open it up 🙂
1. Do the organization posts include someone to come to my house to implement them?
2. Do the recipe posts include someone to come to my house to cook them?
3. Share as much or as little as you are comfortable. Your readers love how real you are, and sometimes the realest posts can be the hardest. We are here for your journey as much as you’ll take us along.
4. Yes please, especially if you are itching to take on an Atlanta playroom for 3 kids. 😉
Yes to all! My biggest problem areas are the junk drawer in the kitchen, pantry and linen closets. They seem to fall apart shortly after I try to get them organized. Also, the fridge. We have a new one and I just can’t seem to get it right.
I’ll always take new recipes! I hate to meal plan so any help there is also awesome.
So many of us seem to be in the spot of caring for aging or parents with chronic illness so I really enjoy the posts with your mom . It keeps it real and nice to know I’m not alone in the struggle.
I have been a reader for a long time but honestly can’t remember the just four posts. Design tips that are easy to replicate are always good though!
Yes, yes, yes and YES! Just say the word and I’ll submit my space! So many to choose from though…lol!
I would especially love to hear more about the journey you and your momma are on with Alzheimer’s….I can see the resemblance between you……
Denise Olsen says
Yes to 4 things! Such a great idea! Also, please share about your family’s journey with your mom.
I love everything you do and you were the first blog I ever read! I love just 4 things and would love to see that back and volunteer my living room! And I love that you share your seeet relationship with your mother and family.
Jennifer Dinnen says
Hi Courtney –
Yes to all of your questions!!
In regards to organization – I feel like I am constantly drowning in “stuff” in my kitchen. This includes everything from the mail, kids school papers, random crap that i honestly don’t know where it comes from, etc. I have read your posts before and love them, but then get overwhelmed on where to start.
Kitchen cabinets and junk drawers are also an issue. I feel like I am ok for a little bit, but what are tips to “stick with the plan”. I either go on total purge mode and throw everything out or throw in the towel go back to the way things were. Always seems like all or nothing.
I would also love to see more recipes that the kids can get involved with. Both girls love to “help” so I am trying to find more kids friendly jobs for them in the kitchen.
I also love all your clothes posts (I know that wasn’t one of your questions), but feel like we can never hang out or else we would be matching (since I buy everything you recommend – including your luggage 😉
Yes X4! I love that you talk about real life stuff. It is what makes your blog special and relatable. Keep up the great work!
Yes please to all 4 topics!
I’m a new reader but would love :
1) junk drawer organization and laundry room organization
3) I’m so sorry for what you’re experiencing with your mom… I lost my mom 5 years ago to the disease but actually lost her many years prior to that:(
4) love the idea of changing just 4 things… quite a few places to choose from in my home!!!!
Looking forward to receiving your blog:)
Kerri Hansen says
1.I love all organization posts, I am a total organization nerd. I have just started blogging to promote my new business as a decorator specializing in family spaces, so organizing is a key piece to the work I do. Something I struggle with, which might not be directly related to organization is more about time management. i am always looking for ways to manage my time and be more productive. I work while my 3 kids are at school, and my “work time” feels fleeting and precious!
2. Recipies, yes please. And I like to kick it old school and print them out. I am always on the hunt for simple, fast and healthy recipes … I have a picky eater, a kid allergic to dairy and one intolerant to gluten so mealtimes are a struggle.
3.I agree with a previous reader who noted that while it might not be Alzheimer’s specifically, caring for loved ones who struggle with an illness is something we can all relate to. I am sure these posts of yours provide comfort to so many.
4. I am a fairly new reader, so I am not familiar with “Just 4 things” but I LOVE this concept and would really enjoy reading a post like this! I noticed you used to do a “fixer Upper takeaway” segment that I loved, I am a huge Jojo fan and have travelled from Canada to Waco, not once but twice now! To be fair, the second time was part of a field trip tacked onto the end of Bloom Bash Dallas and I went with Michaela and Ashley, whom I adore!
Love your blog! Hugs!
Just 4 things was one of my favorite series you did!! Please bring it back!! Let us know how to submit our spaces!!
First, I love reading your blog and following on IG. The love for your family clearly stands out as one of my favorite things!!
ONE – I desperately need a mail/paper system; the bills and magazines seem to pile up on the island. If I tuck them into the junk drawer they are inevitably forgotten for a few days. oops! Digital photos are difficult for me as well. I like to print pics of my girls but I never seem to get them off my camera.
TWO – Love printable recipes to stick in a binder, quick and healthy are perfect
THREE – It is touching and encouraging to see a bit of your journey with your Mom. It may not be Alzheimer’s, but I think most readers can relate to caring for ill or aging loved ones.
FOUR – love just 4 things! I might have to submit one of my spaces!!
1 – Yes, organizing posts are great. Hall closets and home office would be great posts.
2 – Who doesn’t love food? Screenshotable or printable recipes would be great.
3 – Reality is harsh and painful to watch or be part of sometimes but it’s real. And real life makes for relatable content.
4 – I feel like this can be hit or miss. Maybe if there’s a budget cap, or a high and low version of each item that’d be more helpful.
Yes to Just 4 Things. My favorite!! And if you are looking for a space to redo, can I nominate my master bedroom?!! It really needs your help because I love your style!
No opinion on #1,2 , whatever you’re comfortable with to #3 and a big yes to #4.
1. Yes…love organizational posts. My problem areas are paper clutter!! Bills, receipts, kids paperwork. It all ends up on my kitchen island.
2. I’m pretty good about meal planning, but I’m always looking for EASY crockpot recipes.
3. I’ve been loving your posts about your mom. While I don’t currently know anyone with Alzheimer’s, I’m always interested in learning more.
4. Yes!! Would love to see you help design a space. Especially a space in my home 😉
I just wanted to share that I’ve been faithfully reading your blog for the past year and I look forward to reading each and every one of your posts. I love your style and how you treasure your family. My kids are 21, 19 and 17…it goes by too fast. The saying “the days are long but the years are short” is so very true. Whatever you decide to post, I know I will look forward to reading. Just follow the path that works best for your family!
Yes to everything, especially your journey with your mom, as that is also impacting my family as well.
Yes to everything you want to do!
Our hot spot is our entrance, it just opens into our family room so disorganized with shoes and jackets. Had a hard time finding something that doesn’t look out of place in the room. I would love to hear how you get your greens in, do you have green smoothies or juice? I would love to submit our family room for four things, it is the one room I really struggle with. Your posts on your mother are so sweet and positive, I love your approach to it all.
Cindy Hamilton says
Yes, on all four for sure! Thank you, I really enjoy your blog.
I would like to see more recipes on the blog as I don’t get around to watching IG stories as often and I miss a lot since they eventually go away! Would also LOVE to see Just Four Things come back!!
Yes to Just 4 things. Not everyone has budgets to redo every room (me! me!). Sometimes even a temporary fix with a few things can make a room feel totally different .
Jenny Smith says
Your Instagram posts with your mom always touch my heart in a really beautiful way. I am so sorry you and your family have to deal with this hard thing but seeing your love and grace and your sweet mom’s spirit that comes shining through just really melts me. Keep posting, the way you love your family especially through hard times is uplifting and inspiring!!